CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

January 2

Kak Atirah started teaching me the method of streaking agar to the Petri dishes using inoculating loop today. There are four steps to streaking agar to the Petri dish. Before starting, I should wear the lab cloth, put on glove, get my sample (mucus), inoculating loop, Petri dish (with marine agar), fire source and parafilm. First I am to clean the laminar flow by spraying ethanol 17% into it and wipe it with tissues paper. After that, switch on the blower, lower down the glass window and put all the stuff that I needed into the laminar flow. Then, I am ready to begin the first step of streaking bacteria into the Petri dish. Kak Atirah did all the four steps for me to see first. After that, I am to do one round for her to see.















First, I am to get the inoculating loop and sterilize it by flaming it using the fire. After leaving it cooling down for awhile, I am ready to put the tip of inoculating loop into the little bottle that contains the mucus of the fish, but I should open the mouth of the bottle first. The cover and the mouth of the bottle also should be sterilized by putting it near the fire and flaming it for awhile. After that, I am to put the tip of the inoculating loop that I had sterilized just now into the bottle and dilute it with the mucus liquid. At the same time, I am to get ready the Petri dish with marine agar. Place the tip of the inoculating loop on the surface of the agar and start the first step of streaking process. The secret to streaking the bacteria to the surface of the agar was to make sure that the tip of the inoculating loop is been placed gently on it and then start by making lines. After that, flame the inoculating loop again and start the same process by putting it into the bottle of mucus and ensure that the opening of the Petri dish and the bottle are not too long till it is possible for it to catch foreign elements from the air that might carry other kind of bacteria. It will ruin the purity of the result if that ever happen. The same step continues until there are four different streaking in the same Petri dish. And then, flame, seal with parafilm. Put it into the appropriate temperature/ environment and wait for the bacteria to grow. Some of the bacteria are to be place under ambient temperature but some are to be placed under 37C temperature, dependent upon the purpose of the experiment.

0 comments: