CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, February 16, 2009

January 1, 2009

Today is of no holiday, not like the other places around the world. That is what I heard. Johor does not celebrate holiday on this day. So today I still come to the Bioinformatics lab as usual. I hasn’t read much of the thesis that I gotten from Kak Atirah, as there are so much things to refresh about, such as the DNA extraction, what is inoculating loop, laminar flow, test tube and even I could not remember the name for ‘bikar’ in English! Things are so blur in my head. However, I do still remember a little bit of pieces here and there about Biology. Now it is up to me to make it come back to my mind or not.

There isn’t much thing done today, except for getting ready medium and instruments ready for my project. By this I mean sterilizing everything that I need to use. First I need to prepare marine broth and as well as marine agar by using the sea water which they gotten back from the last visit (which I don’t know how long ago). This is done like this:

Materials: nutrient broth (4g for 500 m l) and nutrient agar powder (20g for 1 liter), 2-3 short bottles, scapula, plastic weighing dish, sterilize machine

1. First, weigh both the nutrient broth powder and the nutrient agar powder to its rightful weight by using the ‘weighing machine’ that only weigh in the matter of gram.

2. Next, pour the nutrient broth powder into the 1liter bottle and nutrient agar into a flask and then cover it with aluminum foil.

3 After that, putting all the other instruments that need to be sterilized, such as extra flasks (cover with foil first), forceps, and etc into the sterilizing bucket.

4. Place the bucket into the sterilize machine and make sure that the liquid medium does not mix together with the solid instruments.

5. Autoclave under 120C for 1 hour.


Left: Marine Nutrient Agar been poured into the petri dish Right: Marine broth


0 comments: